In 1869 John and Hannah Weinberger bought 240 acres from Charles and Carolina Krug for $3,000 and built the first stone wine cellar in St. Helena. When a disgruntled former employee murdered John in 1882, Hannah took over and ran the winery for 38 years — Napa Valley's first woman winery owner and winemaker — until Prohibition closed it in 1920. The building sat dark for decades. Bill and Jane Ballentine, who were living next door at St. Clement where Bill was winemaker, bought the surviving five-acre parcel in 1999 and spent years restoring the 1873 stone winery, reopening the cellar doors in 2004. Bill is fourth-generation Napa: his great-grandfather Libero Pocai left Lucca and bought land here in 1906 after the San Francisco earthquake, and his grandfather John Ballentine bought 160 acres in 1922 in a community he named Deer Park after the family farm in Ireland. The winery is named for son Cole, the fifth generation; the Cabernet is named for his sister Claire.